Semtech LoRa Technology Enables Top Solutions in Second-Annual Global IoT Challenge
A photo accompanying this announcement is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/53b2dabb-4682-4caa-ba01-dcd65ddf8cd9
"LoRa Technology enables IoT applications that have the potential to improve the living conditions of underserved communities throughout the world," said
Top Three Solutions
Winner of the Competition: PIX CONTROLLER, a dynamic, high-technology company that designs and manufactures state-of-the-art, covert unattended surveillance camera systems, won for its OMEDS solution (Optical Methane Emissions Detection System), which uses sensors to detect/report methane gas build up to avoid serious health and safety disasters. PIX CONTROLLER will travel to
Finalists: Agrint Sensing Solutions and KU Leuven created technical solutions using the LoRa-equipped starter kits. Agrint Sensing Solutions integrated its IoTree technology with LoRaWAN, creating in-tree sensors to detect when pests start attacking trees before irreparable damage occurs, starting with the Red Palm Weevil. KU Leuven proposed MediFridge, which uses LoRa Technology to monitor and ensure adequate fridge temperatures are maintained during the transportation of sensitive medications and blood supplies in developing countries.
Semtech's LoRa Technology and the LoRaWAN protocol enable long-range communication, while operating on low power to ensure extended battery life and connectivity in remote, hard-to-reach areas. The standardized LoRaWAN protocol ensures interoperability with other applications and networks, enabling scalable solution and infrastructure deployment.
Key Features of LoRa Technology:
- Long Range: A single base station using LoRa Technology enables deep penetration capability for dense urban environments and indoor coverage, while also providing the ability to connect to sensors more than 15-30 miles away in rural areas.
Low Power: The LoRaWAN protocol was developed specifically for low power and enables unprecedented battery lifetime of up to 20 years depending on the application.
- Geolocation: Enables tracking applications without GPS or additional power consumption.
- Low Cost: LoRa Technology reduces up front infrastructure investments and operating costs, as well as end-node sensor costs.
- Open Standard: The LoRaWAN protocol ensures interoperability among applications, IoT solution providers and telecom operators to speed adoption and deployment.
- To learn how LoRa enables IoT visit Semtech's NEW LoRa/IoT site.
- Engage with the NEW
- Contact Semtech's support team for technical support or general product inquiries.
- Sign up for Semtech's e-newsletter Inside Circuit for quarterly product updates.
Semtechon Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google+.
Forward-Looking and Cautionary Statements
All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words "will," "potential to," "designed to," or other similar words or expressions, that describe Semtech Corporation's or its management's future plans, objectives or goals are "forward-looking statements" and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of
The photo is also available via Newscom, www.newscom.com, and via AP PhotoExpress.
Ronda Grech Semtech Corporation(805) 480-2193 email@example.com
News Provided by Acquire Media